Horsemen impacted by the March 30 cancellation of racing at Aqueduct Racetrack will be receiving compensation through the New York Racing Association purse account of $2,500 or $1,000 per horse for the lost racing opportunity.
The managing owner of each horse scheduled to race will receive $2,500. The trainer of each horse will get $1,000.
“Due to the extraordinary circumstances that caused the cancellation, we strongly advocated for some type of reimbursement to offset the lost racing opportunities, and the expenses incurred,” New York Thoroughbred Horsemen’s Association president Tina Bond said. “We will also work with NYRA, the Gaming Commission, and Genting to ensure better communication and to help prevent any additional incidents in the 15 months that we will continue to share the space at Aqueduct.”
NYRA’s finance department is working to implement the payments as soon as possible.
“Over the last week, NYRA has engaged in a productive dialogue with NYTHA to arrive at a reimbursement level designed to alleviate the impact of last Sunday’s incredibly unusual cancellation,” said Andrew Offerman, NYRA senior vice president of racing and operations. “While the disruption to racing was certainly outside of NYRA’s control, we recognize the value of every racing opportunity and are pleased to support horsemen and women with these payments from the purse account.”
Sign up for BloodHorse Daily